Earle Expedition

Earle Expedition

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A little bit further

Well, I found another triathlon to compete in this year. It was hard to find ones that were relatively close and not on a Saturday. Saturdays are meant for haying if the weather is good so I couldn`t commit myself to a Saturday tri. My hairdresser actually mentioned that there is one in Sundre. So I checked it out and it was on a Sunday.
I could not have asked for a better day. There was no wind and about 18 degrees out. The Vulcan Tinman that I usually do in June is 20 lengths, 15 km bike, and 5 km run. This was a little further with 30 lengths, 20 km bike, and 5 km run. I was really nervous going into it cuz I felt I hadn`t trained enough for the extra distance. My swim went great but my transition to the bike is what hurt me. I was one of the first out of the pool but had 3 or 4 people pass me cuz they were faster in the transition. Oh well. The bike was a beautiful ride but really really hilly. Then came the run up snake hill and my legs had almost had enough. But I finished it in 1:35. I am pleased with that.
I couldn`t have done it without Tim though. It was really nice to have him there when I got out of the pool, off the bike, and at the finish line. The only time he really can watch me is in the pool (12 min). So for the rest of the time he just hung out watching others go through. I asked him to get a picture of me at the finish line but the batteries went dead when he took the picture. Oh well, I got one to prove I did it. Tim commented that he felt rather lazy watching me come in and out of the transitions. But he can`t swim - he just sinks. Next year I think we will try a team one so I can swim and run and he can bike. We`ll see.
One great thing is I got to catch up a little with my university roommates` husband. We haven`t seen them in about a year. Tyler was doing the Tri-It Triathlon (12 lengths, 5 km bike, 2 km run) with a friend so Melissa and the kids weren`t there. But it is nice to catch up a little in person rather than on facebook.



No comments: