With December 1 nearing I am getting really excited for Christmas. Connor is starting to understand that you get presents at Christmas. He doesn't have a list he wants for Christmas yet. I want my children to know that Christmas isn't about santa, or the presents, or the candy. I want them to grasp the realization that Jesus was our gift for an eternal life and all that goes with it. I want them to understand that it is a time to show and give our love to family and people around us.
So Connor and I made this advent calendar. I got the idea at Makadoodle. Inside each party favor tin is a little treat - but underneath the treat is an activty that we can do as a family. I purchased The Story of the Nativity, It is a book that breaks down the birth of Christ as a countdown to Christmas. So everyday when we open a tin we'll read a part the Christmas story.
Our list of things to do are:
1) Make a gingerbread house
2) Have dinner by candlelight
3) Make Ken (a bachelor accross the road) supper and take it to him
4) Make Candy Cane Playdoh
5) Have dinner around the fire
6) Make Snowman soup
7) Make Christmas goodies and take some to a friend
8) Read a Christmas story by the fire
9) Make a Christmas ornament
10) Play a board game
11) Build a snowman outside
12) Pray for the babie born this year
13) Make paper snowflakes
14) Go look at Christmas lights
15)Make a Jesus Basket and deliver to a family in need
16) Go get a Christmas tree
17) Make a meal for Granny and Gramps
18) Make popcorn garland by the fire
19) Go look at the festival of lights
20) Dance to Christmas music
21) Go out for a special supper
22) Buy a gift for a kid in need
23) Decorate cookies with cousins
24) Make a birthday cake for Jesus
25) Go sledding
1 comment:
Thought I would 'pop in' and check out your blog Karen and I am lovin' this idea!! Now to stay with the schedule right?? :) I might just try this out on my little troop as well... Christmas is about soo much more than the presents and what a great way to show our kidos the true meaning of the season! God bless, Merla
Post a Comment