Yesterday we said good bye to a dear man. This Sunday Gramps would have turned 94. I have many fond memories in the short time I knew him. He was a quiet man but always willing to share a story from his experiences. The first summer we were married Granny helped me plant my garden. When it was time to get the potatoes in Gramps made a special trip into Olds to get me a proper potato fork and burlap sacks to store them in. One of my fondest memories is in the fall while we bring cattle home. Gramps would always watch and always comment on how big the calves were. He was always able to appreciate the blessings in the harvest no matter what the quality. I can still picture him with his coffee thermos sitting in the tractor baling away at the age of 85. I know part of Tim's passion for farming was passed down from the hours spent with Gramps.
He was always wandering (or in the later years quading) around the farm inspecting things. Until this past year he could rarely sit in the house for too long. Something around the farm needed checking or fixing. When we were having a long day on the farm he would quiet often bring pop and chocolate bars out. One would think to grab several different kinds of chocolate bars but not Gramps - it was always an Oh Henry! One of my life lines to keep me sane (especially in the winter) was to visit Granny and Gramps at the farm. Something I am sorely going to miss this winter with Granny in Cochrane. Every time we would get there the boys would run to the cookie jar to get a snack and then run into the living room to pull the balls out of Gramps' foot stool. From there Gramps would roll the balls across the room into their legs. It was a game that each of them adored. The footstool made the move to Cochrane with them and the boys continue to enjoy playing with the balls. Gramps was one of the gentlest most sincere men I knew and I am forever grateful that I was able to call him my Gramps.
Through all this we have had several opportunities to share with the boys (especially Connor) about heaven. Tim told the boys that Jesus came and took Gramps to heaven. Later in the day Connor asked me "how did Jesus get into Gramps' room to take him to heaven?" Even from heaven Gramps quiet manner is teaching his offspring about his love for God. A gift that I cherish and pray I'll be able to do one day.
We went and saw Granny last night and reality hit when Gramps' chair sat empty. I know he is in a better place now and watching us from heaven but I will forever miss this quiet man.
I love you Gramps!

1 comment:
What a beautiful post Karen!! Your family is in our prayers as you say goodbye to Grandpa Earle as he will always be to our family.....
Post a Comment