Today Granny came out to the farm with several others from Bethany to see the calves. Of course the elderly love to see family, especially the little ones. We have a weekly Bible study every Wednesday morning at our church. The church has provided child care for us moms so we can enjoy the study. I had to miss last week for a doctors apt and was really looking forward to going today. The kids love it cuz they get to play with their friends for 2 hours.
I asked the boys this morning what they would prefer to do: go to Bible study or to go and see Granny on the bus? Both, without hesitation, said to see Granny. Instantly my heart melted. One of the values I pray daily for is that our children would learn is to honor,love and respect the elderly.
That my children will open their hearts to words of wisdom and experience that the elderly share with them.
Tim was telling me to go to Bible study, as the visit with Granny will be short. And I almost decided to go but the boys answer kept playing in my head. It made me turn to 1 Timothy 5 this morning while the kids are out doing chores with their dad.
1 Timothy 5:2 Treat older women as you would your mother, and treat younger women with all purity as you would your own sisters.
3 Take care of[b] any widow who has no one else to care for her. 4 But if she has children or grandchildren, their first responsibility is to show godliness at home and repay their parents by taking care of them. This is something that pleases God.
Oh how I pray that as a mother I can teach this passage to my children. I pray that their answer today will be their answer for all of the tomorrows. That they will cherish and value their elders even when they go thru their teen years. Sometimes it is easy to let life distract you from the small but very important things in life - like a short visit to Granny to break her day up. I know that I often use my children's rowdiness as excuses for not making more regular visits to Granny. Or I plan other things on our Sundays off not letting us visit Granny as a family. But my boys taught me today that our widows and elderly -that our Granny- are more important than all that other stuff.
1 comment:
Such a great lesson to learn! Especially knowing that one day Granny won't be there any more to visit...so enjoy it while you can!
Post a Comment