Earle Expedition

Earle Expedition

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Newest addition to our home

Well we had a wonderful relaxed Christmas this year. I was able to get two weeks off and it has been great seeing family and working on the farm again. I was filling in for a co worker on leave and so for the month of December I was working full time at the bank. But the best part of Christmas this year is getting our puppy Sadie. Tom's cousin down the road breed labs and I have always wanted to get a lab of my own. So once we moved onto the farm I was figured I could get one. So I had a puppy reserved but in the end of big ordeal I didn't get it cuz they weren't selling specific litter as breeding dogs because they couldn't get a hold of the papers for the dad. I want to start breeding labs so, I said I would wait until another of their dogs had pups. A few days after Christmas, Jackie came up to me and said they had a puppy returned from the litter because the family realized they were too busy for a puppy. They had her vet checked and the hips and eyes checked and they would be willing to sell her as a breeding dog now (they finally got a hold of the dads papers).
So here she is. She is too hyper to get a picture of her without her moving around. She has been great to have around. We set up a little pen in the front of the garage for her but she didn't like it the first night. But we were told she would cry the whole night but to just let her be and she'll be ok. So that is what we did and all of a sudden she stopped crying. But in the morning we found her on the landing in the garage - out of her pen!! She is quite content playing on the landing and sleeping on her pillow. She can't get down the stairs yet so it is fine for her to sleep there for now. Tim is going to build a kennel for her as soon as he can.
Tim had her with him while he checked the calves this morning and she had a rude awakening from the calves. They all figured she was interesting to follow, but they move a lot quicker than her and she got kicked by one of them. She is fine but we hope that will teach her not to chase the cows. That is one stipulation that Tim gave me- was that he doesn't want her to chase or bark at the cattle. Even though Tim said he didn't want anything to do with a dog we have both fallen in love with her.

2 comments:

Steve said...

You might not have a problem with her chasing the cows but I would keep her away from Beck's chickens. :)

Steve

Beck's Bulletin said...

What a cute puppy Karen! Great choice. We are very partial to lab puppies....Heather and Matt have sold 7 of their 9 with two black lab males left to go! Love reading your blog!Keep those posts and pictures coming.