Earle Expedition

Earle Expedition

Monday, June 09, 2014

Done & Done

On Saturday Connor and I completed the Tinman Triathlon in Vulcan.  Connor had to swim one length of the pool bike about 4 blocks and run 2 block.  He did it with 4 of his cousins and had a blast.
 Connor and Gavin are both 5 at the moment so they were in the same swim heat.
 Owen was done his race (7 yr old) before Connor even got in the pool.  Ben in the back and Declan ran in the 4 yr old group.  It was so fun to watch.

 I had Lexi strapped to my front so Tim and Kale watched from the stands. 
 Getting ready to go.
 And they are off.  All of my sisters kids are amazing swimmers.  Gav was half a length in front of the rest.
 Tim met Connor outside the pool to get him on his bike.
 I love the chaos!!!
 Tim said that during the bike Connor was just going with the rest of the group but on the way back he realized he could pass and then picked up speed.  Here he is starting his run.  I love the smile on his face.  He is having fun.
 Running under the rainbow to finish.
 He was so excited to get his metal and water bottle. 
 The rest of the cheering squad.
This was my 6 triathlon (my 3 tinman).  I've taken a break from doing triathlons thinking that I couldn't train properly.  But when my sister, sister-in-law, Connor and 4 nephews were doing it I thought I would try it again.  I ran my race at 4.  So just Tim and Lexi came to cheer me on.  The boys wanted to stay at the farm and play with their cousins.  I was a little (ok a lot) nervous.  I didn't feel like I had trained enough - I did the best I could with having a baby 8 months ago, 2 other kids in tow and a husband who works long hours.  I only made it to the pool twice before the race and only did 2 long bike rides as well.  But I wasn't doing it to win so put my smile on and started. 
 
I had to pass a swimmer right at the start and while doing so I almost hit the other swimmer in the lane.  My judgement of where I was in the pool was little off!!  Then after swimming 22 lengths instead of 20 I was off.  My swim time was 9.26 minutes.  Not bad for doing extra lengths, a near collision and only swimming twice before the race.  Then it was the bike.  We had to bike 15 km.  I always dread the bike as it is my weakest link.  It was so much easier than riding on our roads.  Only 1 small hill!  I actually enjoyed the ride except my hinney got a little sore (I forgot to put my gel seat on).  I even passed a person!!  For some reason, even with a time chip on my ankle, they missed my bike and run time.  Kinda figuring on my stopwatch time I did a 2 minute transition and did the bike in about 33 min and the 5km run in 28 min.  Total time was 1.12.38.  In my age group (30 -39) I finished 14 out of about 88.  My sister finished 7.  I was really pleased with the time.  I looked back and in 2007 I did the same triathlon and my time was 1.20.13.  At that time I had no kids and a lot more time to train.  Just goes to show that being a mom keeps you in shape!!

1 comment:

Beck's Bulletin said...

Congratulations!! That's awesome! Well done! I love the fact that Connor did it too....way to get him started early!