I have struggled more than I imagined I would with my oldest child starting grade 1. Connor isn't one for lots of change. But grade 1 brought lots of changes. First he had to leave me and his brother and sister at home for the day. He loves playing with them, and he thought we would have all the fun without him when he was gone. Second he thought all his friends from last year would be in his class again. But only 1 close buddy was in his class. Third, he had to sit for long periods of time. This was super hard for a little boy who spent the whole summer running and playing. These are the big ones, but there were several others that contributed.
I as a mom I saw him struggle with these issues and it hurt. I tried helping him the best that I could but I saw a little light fading. His attitude towards us changed and he was very argumentative. I prayed daily for him and for wisdom for me. September was a hard month for us trying to figure things out. The Lord has answered our prayers and he is enjoying learning again. He understands now that he'll see his friends at recess and has made new friends in class. He knows that he gets home at 3:15 and that gives him lots of time to play with his siblings and do fun things with us. He comes home keen on showing me what he has learned that day. I've learned what questions to ask him that will help him talk about his day better. I've learned that snack time after school is the most important time to reconnect with him. I am truly grateful that I can be at home with my kids and be home when they get off the bus.
Psalm 121 has popped up over and over in my readings, in music, and in bible study. It has become a prayer for my children that I am saying daily now. I made this picture above to hang in Connor's room and I pray that he can grasp and embrace this fully. I hope that this can help him through the changes and unknown that he will face in his future.

1 comment:
Love this Karen! And just so you now, you weren't alone..Kai went through many of the same challenges moving from K to Grade 1.....Little boys would just rather play than learn in a classroom!(I think I remember Jamie having the same issues and coming home from school one day in Grade 1 and asking if he could go back to Kindergarten! :-)
Post a Comment