Earle Expedition

Earle Expedition

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Short but Long Days of January

January usually ticks away slowly for me.  The excitement of Christmas comes to a hault.  The days supposedly get longer but they are sun doesn't shine as long as I like.  Usually the weather is super cold and so it is hard to get the kiddos outside.  This year has been different mostly due to the weather (my mood seems to reflect the weather outside).  For the most part the kids love helping out with chores.  I can't join some of the time because I have to get Connor on the bus.  Tim graciously takes the younger ones.  One morning Connor had a friend over and we introduced him to chores.  Not sure how he felt about it...
 Here the kids are watching Tim "chop, chop timber" as Lexi has called it.  Tim and I load the trailer with small square bales.  When we get to the point in the stack that Tim has to pull a bunch down; the kids (mostly Lexi) yell CHOP CHOP TIMBER and watch all the bales crash down. 
 Although Lexi is definitely showing us the difference of raising a girl vs a boy; she is still highly influenced by the boys in her life.  She insists on wearing dresses around the house now.  She also loves to get the boys tools out, especially the hammer, and fix her strollers and baby beds.
 She worked hard to fix this stroller, Connor even had to help. 
 She continues to light up the room around her whether it be with her bad or good behaviour.  We are definitely experiencing the terrible 2 stage with her and I am very thankful that this will be our last round of them.
 Winter days continue to go by and the highlights for the kids are having play dates with their friends Riley and Hailey.  We ask Lexi who she loves?  Before anybody else she lists Hailey, Riley and Coralie (the kids mom).  She always wants to go to Hailey's house.  Once I found her playing with an imaginary Hailey. 
 I've pulled out some fabric this month to make a quilt for Kale.  My mom, bless her heart, picked up the material for me.  Not that I don't like going to fabric stores but with 2 - 3 children in tow I can't get much done.  My mom made Kale a Monkey quilt for his big bed that is mostly browns, reds, and creams.  Most of the blankets he sleeps with are still from when he was a baby and are getting too small so I've decided to make a rag quilt that will coordinate with moms quilt.  I spent about 3 hours cutting the fabric out one miserable day.  When Kale came home from chores he set up on the counter and watched for the remaining 2 hours.  He fell in love with the fabric and was quite disappointed that this quilt was not going to be for him.  I told him we needed another blanket to snuggle with upstairs watching tv.  He kept asking if he could have it.  Hopefully he'll enjoy the finished project on his birthday this Sunday!
 Road trips with dad help spread out the day.  Lexi couldn't go anywhere that particular day without her princess crown.  Oh how she is loving princess stuff now. 

 I so enjoyed having Connor home during the Christmas break.  I really missed him when he had to go back to school.  I am so proud of the boy he has become.  I love watching him learn.  He loves anything to do with numbers and enjoying reading.  Watching him advance through his reading levels amazes me.  I'm grateful for his teacher, she has mad the reading experience very fun for him.  I've realized after watching him read English is a very dumb language. 
Visits from family always cheer us up.  Gram and Papa came up a bit ago to watch the boys play in their hockey tournament.  Connor had an 8 am game and they made the 2 hour drive and weren't even late!  Papa loves our wood stove so him and Kale built a fire and hung out in front of it for quite a while together. 
 
We got away last week before calving starts and this week I'm busy getting over a bad head cold, dealing with pink eye and trying to get Kales quilt done.  And January will be over.  Quick and painless this year - I love it.   

No comments: