After church on Sunday, Tim stayed home while Lexi napped and the boys and I walked down the road to the place we call the Beaver Dam. Basically a glorified slough. But there are lots of birds down there. I've been promising Connor that we could go on a bird watching date in the mountains sometime soon. We came up with this solution and he was happy to have his brother come with us. So we took our blanket, bird book, and a pair of binoculars. Connor had a blast. He can't quite identify this bird below. He thought it was a wren but when he told Granny and Grandpa about it we think it is too big for a wren. So now he is thinking a sparrow of some sort. The marking above the eye is throwing him off. I am not great at identifying it either. I find one that looks like it but he shows me some detail that isn't the same as the picture. So if anyone has some suggestions we would gladly take them.
He always calls this red winged black bird, the bird from Miss Coralie's. Because that is where he first saw it.
I've never really paid attention to the different birds around our place until Connor showed a keen interest. This was the first time I've seen this yellow headed blackbird. We were able to sit and listen to it for all of about 30 seconds before Kale started talking again. He isn't the best bird watching buddy - a little too noisy!
Connor has identified this one in his book but I can't remember the name of it. He has to show and tell everyone about each bird we saw. I'd say our date was a hit. Now we'll just have to find another location to do one again.






No comments:
Post a Comment