Earle Expedition

Earle Expedition

Monday, June 08, 2015

Fun!!

 The best word to describe this past weekend is "fun".  We headed down to Vulcan to participate in their annual Tinman Triathlon.  Connor, along with 5 of his cousins, participated in the Tinbit triathlon.  They swim 1 length of the pool, bike about 4 blocks, and run 2 blocks. 

 It was sooooooo hot the day of the race that we had to find some shade for the kiddos to wait in.

 Connor and his cousin Gavin are both 6 so they were in the same swim heat.  Connor desperately wanted to swim without his life jacket on but I wasn't comfortable with that so....
 Off they went.  Connor is in the middle lane with Gavin.  But you can't see Gavin because he swam under water most of the time.  My sisters boys are incredible swimmers.
 On his bike and ready to ride...
 Coming in from his bike...
 He chased this girl in the bike and when he rounded the corner he had an incredible cheering section - he put his running legs on and ran as hard as he could.  He passed the little girl right at the end.  Last year all he could talk when he was finished was the metal he got.  This year he was super excited that he past the girl!  He's not competitive at all.

 These 2 are best buddies.
 Lexi wasn't so thrilled with it all and stayed close to dad.
 After lunch the kiddos were quick to put water and soap on the tramp to cool off.

 These 3 convinced Gram to bring hot water out to make a hot tub!!
 So much fun with cousins.

My brother and his wife always supply us and their friends with a pig roast following the race.  And as always it was delicious. 
 
 
My race went well.  Again I wasn't feeling prepared in all aspects but I am in shape so I knew it would be fine.  Last year I counted my lengths differently than the spotter did.  So this year I made sure I counted right.  So as I was pulling myself out of the pool I was told I needed to do 2 more lengths.  I didn't waste time arguing but I am convinced that I did my 20 lengths.  So I am knocking 1 minute of my time.  Hehe.  Anyways, we were pushing a wind on the bike which made it a little tougher but when it is 29 out with no cloud it was nice to have a little breeze.  My bike is my weakest element but I enjoyed every minute of it.  I was a little worried that I was going to be the last one to cross the finish line but than as I was pulling back into town there were 2 bikers heading west. PHEWPH.    We have time anklets on to break down the time of each element but for some reason (again) mine was messed up.  So I have no idea how I did time wise.  I asked the boys to pray for cloud cover when I was running and the last km the sun was clouded over.  I even passed 2 people on the run.  I think in hind sight I could have pushed a little harder in the run but it was sooooooo hot I didn't want to overheat.  In the end my time was the same as last year.  In my 30 - 39 division of 67 athletes I finished 17.  I am pleased with that.  My sister rocked it and was 2 in our division.
 
Such a fun weekend.  We even got to watch my nephew take his first communion yesterday.

1 comment:

Beck's Bulletin said...

What an awesome tradition to be a part of!! Way to go! Kai and Halle love to race too....but a triathalon would be fantastic for them too because they love water and biking too...